gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
98355 Posts in 11585 Topics by 640 Members - Latest Member: Olly July 09, 2020, 03:58:33 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
XS1100UK Forum  |  Bullshit Corner  |  In The Garage  |  Topic: Fuel Leak
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fuel Leak  (Read 482 times)

garym

• Gold Member
Re: Fuel Leak
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2020, 09:54:01 AM »
Anyone one have any idea why the early models had no OFF!!  :rolleyes:
1978 XS1100 2H9 E
1978 K2 'PLAIN JANE' GOLDWING
Hanging around, nothing to do but frown.  Rainy days on Sundays always get me down.

Tom

• Wurtzite Boron Nitride Member
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2020, 11:01:27 AM »
They did have an off, they are vacuum taps that are "off" until the engine vacuum turns them on.
It makes you look a cnut but question everything!!

Tom, belligerent old tosser!!
Dazed and confused

garym

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2020, 11:13:31 AM »
So Tom based upon the thread do you think it may be worth me attaching two pipes one to each fuel tap with a collector at the bottom and pop it onto the centre stand and see what happens over night?
1978 XS1100 2H9 E
Hanging around, nothing to do but frown.  Rainy days on Sundays always get me down.

Tom

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2020, 12:16:22 PM »
Exactly!

Surely its an easy job to test your taps to see if they shut off, before ordering repair kits?

If you have no vacuum from the engine coz its not running then the taps should be "off"

Put your tank on a bench and see if it drips

I'm not saying anyone else is wrong, it s all good advice, only before buying stuff check whether you need it! :hitme:

I have a vac-tap that gave trouble, it clanged as each vacuum pulse pulled on it, I'm guessing the diaphragm has a pin hole. Enough petrol gets through to run perfectly but the clanging noise through the tank had me thinking the crank was destroying itself. I just run it on PRIME now, leaving the other side as reserve indication. I've also found this a good way to use the taps regardless of failures, when you go onto reserve its only on two cylinders - much safer in traffic, and as my right tap is on PRIME its the left I have to swap to reserve with my free hand leaving my throttle hand keeping the bike safely moving.

Dazed and confused

garym

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2020, 03:29:11 PM »
Will whip the Tank off tomorrow evening..... Thanks to all for the input.....    Tom little bit confused and I read it a couple of times.. You typically ride with the right tap on prime and left on reserve?   Why not both on Prime or have I missed something and are being dim.. :hitme:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 05:07:56 PM by garym »
1978 XS1100 2H9 E

Tom

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2020, 09:11:08 AM »
I ride with right tap on PRIME, and left to ON, that way I have a RESERVE option on the left side, which lets me know when fuel is low. If I rode with both on Prime I have no low fuel indication and theres nowt worse than running out of petrol.

Using only the left for ON and then RESERVE means I get a low fuel notice (misfire on 3 + 4 cylinders) but only have to switch left tap over, easy with throttle hand still in use.

I do try to remember to set trip to 0 when filling up, my different XS1100s have different ranges, which also change with load and headwinds.

Dazed and confused

garym

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2020, 09:17:42 AM »
Makes complete sense now.... Thanks Tom.....  Going round the lock up at lunch hopefully as its only around the corner from where I am based..  Gonna whip the Tank off and see if the taps are continuously dripping... :rolleyes:
1978 XS1100 2H9 E

Tom

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2020, 09:47:16 AM »
 :cool:

Dazed and confused

garym

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2020, 02:28:21 PM »
OK shot round during lunch and de-Tanked her...

Propped the tank at the same position approximately as it would sit on the Bike and turned the taps both downwards to the 'On' position.... No leaks.. :rolleyes:  Turn them to 'Prime' and it pi**es out... Turn it all away round to 'Reserve' and no weep... However for a split second in-between 'Reserve' and going back to the downwards 'On'  position it has a little squirt on both taps, should that be happening ? .. As soon as I get it to the bottom 'On' position it stops... So for about 5 mm of travel it dribbles..  Going to leave it over night  

Anyone have any thoughts.. :popcorn:
1978 XS1100 2H9 E

Tom

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2020, 03:51:22 PM »
Thats the construction of the tap, theres little galleries that fill with petrol, when you're swing it round past the openings that bit of fuel drips out, but doesn't refill as the fill hole is blocked off in that position

Dazed and confused

Plod

• Rock Hard Member
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2020, 07:16:30 PM »
I've got to that age too (shame there's not a 'tap' rebuild kit available) LOL - Kev
XS1100 2H9 Blue/White 1979

Tom

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2020, 09:02:00 PM »
 :rofl:

Dazed and confused

garym

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2020, 02:17:05 PM »
OK, tank off all night and up until around 1.00pm so circa 26 hours... Not a drop in the bottles 🤔 Won't get to to ride it until possibly Sunday so will look again then.... Mmmm as the oil sight glass is showing over with oil, might it be pertinent to drain a little ??
1978 XS1100 2H9 E

garym

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2020, 11:25:31 AM »
Could it be me and because the oil has been around combustions as such, am infact smelling burnt fuel and it is infact my sump being over filled hence why I asked should I drain some off.  Unless anyone else has had an experience they could consider similar?
1978 XS1100 2H9 E

FJ111200

• Diamond Cutter
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2020, 04:45:36 PM »
OK, i'll reply.
The rumour is that oil thinned by petrol increases the chances of the crankshaft bearings spinning out of their seats and that's not good. If it has been diluted by a small amount who knows what the volume could be to cause the spun bearings. A little amount might not do anything, who knows, would you like to find out?
If it was me and considering the price of an oil and filter change, i'd change them because the cost would outweigh the price of a fukked engine.
There you go, that's my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=TeyHPAdxuy0

Interesting thought... But don't you need 'members' for a 'Club'..?

XS1100UK Forum  |  Bullshit Corner  |  In The Garage  |  Topic: Fuel Leak

gfxgfx
gfx gfx