gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
105313 Posts in 12007 Topics by 1177 Members - Latest Member: fen tractor November 13, 2019, 02:23:11 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
XS1100UK Forum  |  Technical  |  Advice Needed  |  Topic: Xs 1100 engine removal
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Xs 1100 engine removal  (Read 78 times)

bradster

Xs 1100 engine removal
« on: November 01, 2019, 09:38:38 PM »
Hi lads an lasses ,,i am about to remove the lump out of the frame ,never done an 1100 before ...done a few 750s ..

Looks like plenty of room ,can they be removed without dismantling the oil filter etc .?  Just trying to save myself a little bother half way through...any advice  more than welcome .... :cheers:

FJ111200

• Diamond Cutter
Re: Xs 1100 engine removal
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 08:58:19 AM »
I'd take off the oil filter housing and the oil cooler, maybe the cooler adapter too, though that can be left in place.
Are you painting the frame? Are you taking everything off the frame like wheels, swing arm, forks, etc?
The frame can be laid on it's side for easier engine removal and replacement. Though I've never done it that way that's why I always end up with scratched and gouged paintwork.
Tight end down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=TeyHPAdxuy0

Interesting thought... But don't you need 'members' for a 'Club'..?

If you can't bleed your bike's brakes then you can't have a bike.

XS1100 - it's old fookin' hat.

annie

• Hard Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 10:10:36 AM »
Like Alex said.I lay mine over on left side with filter off and mount bolts loosened onto positioned pillows/cushions.With two persons easy to lift frame off .Wifey well trained in the art now.
79 XS, Bitsa
Green thingy

bradster

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »
Thanks guys ...i did my 750 removal on its side ,dare say this ol lump is a tad heavier  :grin:   and i also had the wifey trained in the art of engine replacement no gouges involved... :rofl:   ...im in the midst of collecting parts an doing a cafe job on a 1100special ...when i work out how to post pics i will upload some ...  :cheers:

Tom

• Diamond Cutter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 01:52:53 PM »
The last one I did was a trike so not exactly easy to lie down on its side, but normally thats what I do. The trike engine I lifted in on my own using slings, lifted the engine onto one frame rail with a piece of carpet to protect the frame, then moved the sling on that side over the top frame tube and back onto where it was and did the final lift into place with me straddling the trike, I did this all standing upright with the slings over my shoulders, no back injuries that way.
It makes you look a tvvat but question everything!!

Tom, belligerent old tosser!!
Dazed and confused

bradster

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 11:49:15 AM »
 Waiting for exhaust tube bends to arrive ,so will leave engine in for a week or two till i get header pipes fabbed up ...thanks for the  info ....tom you must have a good back.... :cheers:

Shappers

• Diamond Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 04:41:35 PM »
You can fit/remove the middle gearbox first if you like. It saves some weight and gives a little more wiggle room to get the engine in and out.

Jonesy

• NSW Australia
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 08:51:19 PM »
To add to what Shappers said, for even more wiggle room I also take the sump and oil pump off, slip a couple of broom handles above the frame rails and under the motor and slide out easy peasy.

XS1100UK Forum  |  Technical  |  Advice Needed  |  Topic: Xs 1100 engine removal

gfxgfx
gfx gfx