gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
105021 Posts in 11969 Topics by 1174 Members - Latest Member: Sg1100 June 19, 2019, 04:29:18 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
XS1100UK Forum  |  Technical  |  Advice Needed  |  Topic: Where to cut headers for slip ons?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Where to cut headers for slip ons?  (Read 93 times)

fortj3

Where to cut headers for slip ons?
« on: March 31, 2019, 08:52:58 PM »
1981 XS1100H.
Does anyone know where I should cut the headers for replacement of the ratty OEM mufflers with aftermarket slip on mufflers?
I want to keep the 4-2 configuration.
Thanks.
1981 Yamaha XS1100H Venturer
2015 Yamaha SR400
1996 Ford Mustang GT (First and only owner)
1977 Ford F100
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger (Leaning tower of power)

Jonesy

• NSW Australia
Re: Where to cut headers for slip ons?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 11:28:29 AM »
Reckon i'd get the slip ons of choice first then work it out from there

Tom

• Diamond Cutter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 09:03:42 AM »
As Jonesy says, offer up the ones you buy to work out where to cut, and then cut them too long, coz if you balls it up you can always cut a bit more off easier than welding some back on, which in itself is not too much hassle.
It makes you look a tvvat but question everything!!

Tom, belligerent old tosser!!
Dazed and confused

fortj3

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 01:47:27 AM »
Well, the $300 Cobra mufflers I got for $20 may not fit the 1100 without knocking some clearance dents into them.
I don't want to do that, because they use preformed fiberglass sound dampening tubes, instead of loose fiberglass wrapped around the baffle tubes. Clearance dents would preclude ever using the replacement fiberglass tubes and require me to us loose 'glass in the future. It can be done, but it's much less convenient.
I could use a pair of non-catalytic Harley Davidson tapered mufflers from a Dyna, that I have. Torn as to whether or not  I want to remove the baffles, enlarge the holes in them (for more flow) and weld the baffles back in.

OR, I could get a pair of Emgo wide mouth Dunstall style mufflers. I'd have to repack them before first use, because they use very little glass and most of it blows out on the first ride (happened with my SR400)
They look like they'll fit with no need for clearance dents.

Decisions, decisions.

Worst case scenario, the Cobra mufflers get used on the SR and perhaps my 1977 F100.
Or, I could use both of them on my 1996 Mustang GT. They're essentially shiny Cherry Bomb glasspacks.
Would that be too redneck? The Mustang has 6 catalytic converters, and could use straight pipes after the cats and still not be very loud.
2015 Yamaha SR400
1977 Ford F100

Tom

• Diamond Cutter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 03:20:27 PM »
If you got $300 mufflers for $20 sell them for $300 and get some more mufflers that do fit. Or if they are really only $20 you can knock them about without worrying about wrecking good expensive mufflers.

There, sorted :grin:
It makes you look a tvvat but question everything!!

Tom, belligerent old tosser!!
Dazed and confused

fortj3

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 02:40:27 AM »
I really got them for $20.00 US + about $10.00 shipping.
Bought them in an online auction on shopgoodwill.com.
The mufflers I missed out on, and wish I hadn't were some Hooker(?) that had adjustable baffles for more/less flow.

Anyway, you're right. I can knock clearance dents into them without losing much.
I may have to shorten my factory heat shield, to get enough pipe length to clamp them on.
Since mine uses Special exhaust, it angles up where the mufflers are welded on. I'd have to cut past that, to get straight, horizontal pipe. That, or get shorter mufflers, so they don't hit the bottoms of the panniers.

The only reason I don't want to knock clearance dents into the Cobras is because they use preformed fiberglass damping tubes, instead of loose, wrapped 'glass. I'd hate to lose the ability to repack them with those tubes in the future.

Who knows, depending on where the dents have to be hammered in, there may not even be any 'glass at that point.
And, I could always cut replacement tubes shorter for fit.

2015 Yamaha SR400
1977 Ford F100

XS1100UK Forum  |  Technical  |  Advice Needed  |  Topic: Where to cut headers for slip ons?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx