gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
105196 Posts in 11993 Topics by 1177 Members - Latest Member: fen tractor September 23, 2019, 08:22:20 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
XS1100UK Forum  |  Technical  |  Advice Needed  |  Topic: front brake system Special
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: front brake system Special  (Read 267 times)

Hermod Olsen

front brake system Special
« on: February 02, 2019, 10:32:42 PM »
Have had a Eleven 78 E from 78 - 82 - bought  a 81 Special last summer and discovered that the frontbrakesystem is quite different from the E mod. Anyone who can tell me why the system are like that and why the brakepads are made like they are *worn-out* sideways. See the calipters are mounted with one bolt that allow the calipters to go sideways - am just qurious about this system and can't find any technical explaination on the web. Read there is another system on the Midnight Special but that's another issue.
Thanks for your time!
Regards
Hermod Olsen
Norway

FJ111200

• Diamond Cutter
Re: front brake system Special
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 08:51:51 AM »
Hi Hermod, welcome to the forum and glad to see that you made it over here.Does the front caliper look like the one in this link?
https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/front-brake-caliper_bigyau0719e-7_afe1.gif
What are the first three letters of the frame and engine you've got there? Or have you got any pictures to help us?
This link to CMSNL is a good reference point. Others are available too.
https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs1100_model16834/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 08:54:24 AM by FJ111200 »
Tight end down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=TeyHPAdxuy0

Interesting thought... But don't you need 'members' for a 'Club'..?

If you can't bleed your bike's brakes then you can't have a bike.

XS1100 - it's old fookin' hat.

Hermod Olsen

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 09:40:32 PM »
My question was simple;
Anyone who knows why Yamaha made the frontbrakesystem like it is on the Special instead of using the system on the E-model?

annie

• Hard Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 07:15:05 AM »
As I cannot  fathom Oriental minds,can only guess at larger pad area,if only marginally .
79 XS, Bitsa
Green thingy

Tom

• Diamond Cutter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 07:19:51 AM »
Welcome Hermod

Its a good question Hermod, the system seems a stupid one with no good reason that we can work out.
It makes you look a tvvat but question everything!!

Tom, belligerent old tosser!!
Dazed and confused

Napier

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 04:24:02 PM »
My question was simple;
Anyone who knows why Yamaha made the frontbrakesystem like it is on the Special instead of using the system on the E-model?

The '1J3' type caliper (FA34 pad) was first used on the XS500C 1976 and was used universally on all XS models of the era with conventional forks.
When Custom/Special XS models subsequently appeared with leading axle forks, then the 1J3 type caliper could not really be fitted .
On these models the disc found itself sited more forward relative to the fork slider .( or .if you prefer , the slider was now sited more rearward relative to the disc)
Therefore, to mount the caliper such that the correct pad orientation (relative to the disc ) is achieved, the caliper would have to be rotated considerably away from its desired position close to the slider.  That would mean an excessively long upper lug. (Not ideal from both design and aesthetic standpoints) 
Yes, a revised caliper bracket could have been produced that effectively displaced the caliper body to its desired position, but still bolted to lugs close to the slider. However , that bracket would also be an oversize aesthetic abomination.
So, a new caliper design was introduced : that swinging type .... a dreadful design.
Later an altogether better caliper appeared , ..the sliding 4W1 type for leading axle forks (1.1S 5K7 etc)

Hermod Olsen

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 09:39:04 PM »
Thank you Napier
my simple and qurious question was explained very well from you :clap: :cool:

XSSIVE

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 02:43:21 AM »
I appreciate the nice description.  Follow up question re pad installation:

I'm swapping out the front pads on my 80 XS1100LG.  Are the "wedge" shaped pads the same on each side, or mirror image of each other.  The pads I ordered are angled the same on both sides and it seems like they should be mirror images of each other since everything else is on the calipers.  If pix are needed, I can post.

Thanks,

Glen
1978 XS1100E, stock
1978 XS1100E, complete factory touring package
1980 XS1100LG, Midnight Special
1983 XV920MK, Midnight Special
1983 XJ750MK, Midnight Special
1997 FLH Road King

FJ111200

• Diamond Cutter
Tight end down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=TeyHPAdxuy0

Interesting thought... But don't you need 'members' for a 'Club'..?

If you can't bleed your bike's brakes then you can't have a bike.

XS1100 - it's old fookin' hat.

The Fat Controller

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 10:42:49 PM »
XS1100UK Forum Administrator

XSSIVE

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 06:58:50 PM »
Thanks.  Care must be taken when ordering L and R sets for the front as they're mirror images of each other.  Learned the hard way when a supplier sent me two R sets and then wanted to argue with me.  DA.  Ordered a left set from another supplier as the ass pain wasn't worth it.  Appreciate the feedback guys.
1978 XS1100E, stock
1978 XS1100E, complete factory touring package
1980 XS1100LG, Midnight Special
1983 XV920MK, Midnight Special
1983 XJ750MK, Midnight Special
1997 FLH Road King

Unkle Krusty

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 05:04:36 AM »
I have just changed the pads on my 79 Special that has the silly calipers. I can look up the EBC pad numbers when I get home if needed. Some parts suppliers show the Standard pad as fitting the Special. My Midnight Special has the leading axle, but the same calipers as the Standard. I can supply pics if needed. One of the pins would not push out of the caliper. I had to cut it with a hack saw, and drill out the short bits left. The pin is 9 mm and hard to find a bolt or anything that size. I found a screw driver with a 9 mm shaft.

UK

XS1100UK Forum  |  Technical  |  Advice Needed  |  Topic: front brake system Special

gfxgfx
gfx gfx