gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
105196 Posts in 11993 Topics by 1177 Members - Latest Member: fen tractor September 23, 2019, 07:58:09 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
XS1100UK Forum  |  Technical  |  Advice Needed  |  Topic: How much resistance should I see-pickup coil wires at TCI?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How much resistance should I see-pickup coil wires at TCI?  (Read 239 times)

fortj3

How much resistance should I see-pickup coil wires at TCI?
« on: October 19, 2018, 12:35:11 AM »
Haven't messed with the '81H in a while.
So, I made some fuse holders the other day, to replace the cracked/broken OEM ones.
I removed my TCI and cleaned the terminal pins with DeOxit, as well as the terminals at the harness connectors that plug into the TCI.

Decided to test the pickup coil wires at the TCI connector.

I'm measuring right about 780 ohms on both pickup coil circuits.
Is this correct for the pickup coil resistance, or does this mean I have either broken wire strands in the pickup coil leads.
Or, is there another wire connection between the TCI plug and the pickup coils?
1981 Yamaha XS1100H Venturer
2015 Yamaha SR400
1996 Ford Mustang GT (First and only owner)
1977 Ford F100
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger (Leaning tower of power)

Robjota

Re: How much resistance should I see-pickup coil wires at TCI?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 08:39:19 AM »
Wish I could give you a definitive answer to that, I also measured them a year or so ago but didn't record the results. If you are measuring each channel to the pickups and getting exactly the same results, it is very likely correct.
I would suggest you pull the connector at the motor and measure both ways, ie forward to the pickups and rearward to the tci connector. looking for similar results on each channel.
If you move the wires while reading the resistance, well you can figure out the rest ...
Rob
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:41:53 AM by Robjota »

Napier

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 10:30:18 AM »
The Technical Service Information booklet indicates that the pick-up coil resistance at the block connector should be 750 ohms +/- 10% , so  yours are okay  (unless the wires fracture when bent) . 

fortj3

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 08:18:16 PM »
Thanks. Im trying to eliminate any possible ignition system causes of my drivability issues before I put down more money on the carburetors.
For what it would cost me to rebuild the carbs with new float valves/seats/o-rings/gaskets, etc, I would be entering the territory of I may as well replace the Keihins with new flat-slide Mikuni pumpers.
2015 Yamaha SR400
1977 Ford F100

Napier

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 03:02:32 PM »
I am posting the following pages from the Technical Service Information booklet for three reasons:

1 )  they are kind of relevant to the initial post

2 )  It gives members something to read, and keep the forum 'buzzing' ...!!!???

3)  Activity on my flickr account  means it won't get deactivated from being dormant

TCI-1 by David Charlton, on Flickr

TCI-2 by David Charlton, on Flickr

TCI-3 by David Charlton, on Flickr

TCI-4 by David Charlton, on Flickr

TCI-5 by David Charlton, on Flickr

fortj3

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 03:29:34 PM »
Those documents are a great help to me.
Thanks, Napier.
Though I'm in the US, THIS is the main XS1100 forum I use.
Second is the Australian forum.

The US forum has never allowed me to join, after several attempts (no response to email).
Main reason I always check this forum first is lots of good information from people who want to help other XS owners keep their bikes out of the scrap heap.
Plus, a lack of bovine fecal matter.

I'm very tempted to replace the CVK Keihins with Mikuni RS36.
I keep having issues with too rich, too lean, and leaking from places that shouldn't be able to reach.

I know the CVK36 carbies are the dog's danglies and everyone else is happily using them, but I'm getting no love from these damned Keihins.
I'd love to replace every single seal, gasket, and O-ring in them, and the float valves, but the cost of that is outrageous when you consider what you're getting for the money paid.
I'm just about to the point of melting the damned things down and casting them into something useful.

They've started leaking from the float bowl drain screws.
They've started leaking from the float bowl gaskets.
They've started leaking from the pilot screws.
They've started leaking from a hole between the pilot screws and the float bowls. It appears to be a blind, unfinished hole that was intended for something to attach to, in an application other than Kwak ZRX1200.

I'd like nothing more than for these carbies to be reliable but I just can't see spending around $400 US to replace the rubber bits that could cause leakage and flooding, when I can get t
he RS36 carbs for approximately $650 US and they are brand new and still being made (easier parts availability and whatnot).

I guess I'll put a little more effort into these damned Keihins before I unceremoniously dump them for new Mikunis.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 03:48:49 PM by fortj3 »
2015 Yamaha SR400
1977 Ford F100

Robjota

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 11:22:54 AM »
THanks for posting up that document Napier...

XS1100UK Forum  |  Technical  |  Advice Needed  |  Topic: How much resistance should I see-pickup coil wires at TCI?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx